Whole Foods Market on March 10 will open the doors to its new San Francisco flagship store, a 64,737-square-foot store located at 1185 Market St.at Trinity Place, an apartment building in the city’s Mid-Market neighborhood.
The store’s design is a nod to classic San Francisco, with inspiration from the former Crystal Palace Market; the modern, industrial feel of the Tenderloin district; and the iconic colors of the Golden Gate Bridge, the Austin, Texas-based retailer—which earlier this year opened a 50,780-square-foot store at the Stonestown Galleria Mall in San Francisco—said in a release.
The location’s product assortment places an emphasis on local offerings from Northern California, with more than 3,700 local products throughout the store, all hand-picked by Patrick Wyman, local forager for Whole Foods’ Northern California region.
In addition to a wide selection of organic and local foods that meet the company’s rigorous Quality Standards—which prohibit hydrogenated fats, high-fructose corn syrup and more than 150 flavors, colors, sweeteners and other ingredients commonly found in food—the new Whole Foods in the Trinity Place will feature:
- Offerings from more than 32 local farms, including mandarins from Fruitworld, salad greens from Plenty’s San Francisco farm and organic mushrooms from Far West Fungi.
- A specialty department dedicated to celebrating cheesemakers and artisanal producers, with items such as Sweetdragon Baking Co. brittles, handcrafted chocolates from Charles Chocolates and cheese from Central Coast Creamery.
- An extensive selection of 714 wines, including a wide selection from nearby wine-growing locales. Unique offerings include wines from Poe Wines and Kathryn Kennedy Winery.
- More than 300 craft beers and 150 spirit offerings. Local options include Bare Bottle sour beers, low-calorie and flavored margaritas from Laughing Glass and craft beers from San Francisco Brewing.
- A full-service seafood counter featuring seafood smoked in-house and a ready-to-eat Poke bar. Local options include caviar from Tsar Nicoulai Caviar, trout from TWO X SEA Trout and a wide selection of oysters from the West Coast.
- A full-service butcher to cut steaks to order or debone poultry. Department offerings include shabu shabu and made-in-house sausage. Local options include air-chilled chicken from Mary’s and lamb from Pozzi Ranch.
- A prepared foods section with hot and cold food bars, sushi by Kikka as well as made-to-order and by-the-slice pizzas.
- A bakery offering a variety of local options that include croissant toasts from La Boulangerie, breads from Wise Sons Deli, macarons from L’Artisan and hearth breads from Acme, Semifreddis and Firebrand.
- A Wellness and Beauty section featuring more than 50 local products, including skincare from Earth Tu Face and Cocokind, and supplements like green moringa powders from Kuli Kuli and Supershroom blends from Goldmine.
Curbside pickup will also be available from the Trinity Place store.
To give back to the San Francisco community, Whole Foods sponsored the grand opening of La Cocina’s Municipal Marketplace in San Francisco. La Cocina is an organization working to increase equity in business ownership for women, immigrants and people of color.
Source: Winsight Grocery Business