Ahold Delhaize acquires online supermarket FreshDirect
In the United States, Ahold Delhaize acquires FreshDirect, an online supermarket in New York City specializing in fresh produce.
Strengthen online position
The agreement provides for Ahold Delhaize to acquire a majority interest of 80% in FreshDirect, while current owner Centerbridge Partners will retain the remaining 20% of the shares. Financial details have not been disclosed.
Through the acquisition, Ahold Delhaize strengthens its position in the battle with Amazon, which is increasingly focused on the sale and supply of food products. At the same time, a competitor will be ‘eliminated’ as FreshDirect is a direct rival to Ahold Delhaize’s subsidiary Peapod.
As the name suggests, FreshDirect focuses in particular on fresh food products, which account for more than 60% of turnover. The company, which was founded more than 20 years ago, distinguishes itself through direct and exclusive relationships with local farmers and suppliers. Even after the acquisition by Ahold Delhaize, the brand name will be retained and the online supermarket will operate as an independent player within the group. The current management will remain on board.
Source: Retail Detail